Skip to main content

Full text of "A history of the early settlement of Palermo, Me."

See other formats



=^16 G6 

apy 1 












Who is there that does not wish to know what has 
passed among his ancestors in early days. In preparing 
this brief record of Palermo, it has been my aim to 
present to the reader what has long past, and I have 
-endeavored to insert only facts, based upon good au- 
thority and wish the readers to remember in reading 
these old names that they long ago passed away and 
many of these old names have been handed down to 
the second and third generation. Many thanks are 
due those who have in any way assisisted in prepar- 
ing this work and it is my desire that it may be of 
interest to those of the present day and to the rising 

Allen Goodwin. 


I have in my possession an account of the early settlement of 
Palermo, written forty years ago by my grandfather, Deacon John Mar- 
den. Thinking it may be of interest to some of the residents as well as 
former residents of the town, I have concluded to have it published, 
together with other facta concerning the early history of Palermo. 

My grandfather came to Palermo, Maine, in 1793, with his brother. 

Deacon Stephen Marden, who took np a farm on what is now known as 

Marden Hill. He made his home with him for eight years. Then he 

settled on the farm joining, and their brother Benjamin on one joining 

theirs on the west. He was a deacon of the First Baptist Church for 

manv years. He died August 25, 1860, at the age of eighty-one j^ears. 

The only one of his children now living is a son, Nathan L. Marden of 

Veazie, Maine. I remember my dear old grandfather, as his presence 

adorned the home of my childhood, and I think of him as the good old 

Elijah who sat by the brook side. 

Listen to what he has to say .- 

Palermo, June 7, 1855. 

" 1, John Marden, was born in the Town of Chester, in the County 
of Rockingham and State of New Hampshire, Feb. 18, 1779. When I 
was in my third year my father was killed by the falling of a tree in the 
Town of New^ Hampton, and County of Straftbrd, N. H., on the nineteenth 
day of June, 1781. He was forty-four years of age. My mother was 
left a widow in poor circumstances, with the care of eight children, and 
one added to that number on the twenty-ninth of September following. 

It being in the time of the Revolutionary Avar she had many hard- 
ships to encounter, having but little but her hands and good economy to 
support her family, yet she bore her trouble with a good degree of 
christian patience. In the year 1783 a treaty of peace was signed 
between the United States and Great Britain, wdiich gave her some relief. 

hi the year 17t)0 my eldest brother moved her and the yoniijier part of 
tlie family to the town of Canterbuiy, where she spent the remainder of 
her life in comfortable circnmstances to the day of her death, which was 
on the third day of November, 1830, aoed about ninety-one years. 

January, 1793, I came into the District of Maine, at the age of 
fourteen years, — in the County of Lincoln (now \Valdo) and took up my 
residence at a place called the Great Pond Settlement at the extremity of 
the Sheepscot Pond, 

I had many hardships to encounter bein«j the only youth in the .place. 
The nearest mill was twelve miles, throuij;h a lonely wood, with but little 
better than a foot-path and spotted trees. Yet with pleasinu- prospects 
I looked forward to the time when this iiood land would be settled. 
When school houses and mills wonld be built and roads made, and this 
wilderness would become a fruitful field. I took ijreat pleasure in visit- 
ing my friends in N. H. once in every three years, although I hnd to 
travel the distance of two hundred and twenty miles on the frozen 
ground in the month of November or December. I worked with my 
brother, Stephen Marden, until I was twenty-two years of age, when I 
bought the farm on which I now live, with the barn then built and a log 
house thereon. April 23, 1801, I Avas united in marriage with Mary 
Bagley of Liberty, and moved on to the farm that spring with a pleasing 
prospect of enjoying happiness. For three or four years we were 
favored with good health and our crops came in bountifully and all 
things bespoke prosperity. 

Jan. 22, 1805, I was severely wounded by the falling of a tree. 
Then my sutt'erings were very great. Yet my mind was happy in the 
Lord, and I could truly say, 'Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him.' 
On the third day of February I had my left leg amputated above the 
knee, w Inch was very expensive at that time, so that my future prospects 
of happiness in this world began to decay. In April following we chose 
our town officers for the first time. I took a part with them in collecting- 
taxes and serving precepts, etc. This year with the past will long be 
remembered as a season of great religious excitement in this town and 

vicinity. A Baptist Church Mas organized that season and many were 
added thereto. I was baptized and added to the church at the next 
Auiiust conference. On the tenth day of September my companion was 
tal^en sicl^ and died on the sixteenth — with rash and putrid fever — aged 
about twenty-two. My little son died on the twenty-first, aged three and 
a half years. I had two children left to the mercies of the people. A 
daughter, Eliza, two years old and a little son, Hiram, six days old. Then 
was my house left to me desolate and everything of this world's Avas 
clothed in gloom. All my future prospects gone and the lonely grave- 
yard was the pleasantest place that I could visit. I could truly say with 
tlie i'salmist : 

'Had not thy word been my delight 

When earthly joys were fled, 
My somI oppressed with sorrows' weight 

Had sunk among the dead.' 

1 was then led to put mj' trust in the Lord and since that time I have 
witnessed much of his goodness. 

I disposed of my children where tliey were nursed with tenderness 
and care. I left my house and attended to my business in Town that 
tall. In the winter 1 went to New Hampshire to visit my friends. I 
returned in the spring and finished my collecting and engaged in Town 
business again. In the year 1805 I let out my farm to Elder Robinson 
and Dr. Pratt with but little expectation to pay the bills and save the 
farm. I earned what I could. I found I had many friends to encourage 
me and made me some presents. I was encouraged to try and pay the 
bills and save the farm. This season I formed an acquaintance with 
Mrs. Eunice Ward of Harlem (now China) which was left a widow 
about the same time — and near the same age, with three children, two 
daughters and a son, the eldest six years and the youngest seventeen 
months, with about seven or eight hundred dollars worth of property 
for their support. She a professor of religion and a member of the 
Baptist Church in Harlem. We were united in marriage on the twenty- 
fourth day of August, 1806, and moved home and commenced keeping 
house that fall. She assisted me to pay the bills and stock the farm. I 

was cncoiira^i'ed to pursue a course of farming for a living" and attend to 
Town business and such labor as I could do. Soon after this I Avas 
chosen Town Cleric and kept the records, w^liich was continued about 
twenty years. In the year 1816 I was appointed . „ Post Master in 
Palermo, which Avas continued about seven years. Having the company 
and assistance of a prudent and industrious companion I have enjoyed 
much peace of mind for many years and have witnessed much of the 
goodness of the Lord. We were members of the First Baptist Church 
in Palermo forty-live years. We took much satisfaction with our 
christian friends both in prosperity and in adversity. In the year 1850 
my companion was sick, and died Feb. 28, 1851, aged seventy years and 
four months. We had nine children. For a few years past I have wit- 
nessed much what I read in the twelfth chapter of Ecclesiastes of the 
aged. ' Yet God is the strength of my heart. Although He cause grief 
yet He will have compassion according to the multitude of His mercies." 
He has been my friend and protector in youth and middle age, and I trust 
He will not forsake me when my strength fails. • Therefore will I trust 
in Him as long as I live.' 

Where I reside is about twenty miles north-eas erly of Augusta, 
then called (Fort Weston). The iidiabitants east and north of my resi- 
dence were but few at that time. Several small settlements were made 
in the woods, and generally called after the name of the tirst settler or 
)\v the old Indian name of ponds and streams. The land was very good 
for crops of corn and rye. Each settler made their choice for a farm. 
No taxes were called for at that time. There were no framed buildings 
east or north of my residence for the space of twelve or fifteen miles, 
and three or four miles to the south and west until the next April, 179o. 
when two barn frames were put up, to the great joy of the settlers, but 
more so to the o\vners. After about ten years Townships Avere laid out. 
anti petitions Avere sent to Massachusetts for incorpoi-ation, Avhich Avere 
readily granted. Then school houses were built and roads Avere made. 
Then this Avilderness began to bud and blossom lilsc a rose and soon 
became a fruitful field. In the vear 1820, this district Avas admitted into 

the I'liion A\illi Ihe other Stales, by ihe name of Maine, to the great joy 
of the inhabitants. Now ^hile I am writing, the increasing wealth and 
population of Maine leads my mind back to the days of my youth, when 
these settlei s w ere all laboring men, engaged in their several occupations, 
such as clearing land, raising crops, putting up buildings and fences in 
the summer and fall. In the winter and spring all engaged in lumbering, 
hunting and sugar making, which was much of it done in the forest at 
that tmie. These settlers were all very poor, but as 'happy as clams' 
and as friendly to each other as monkeys. 

What a change has been made since my acquaintance no further 
abroad than even within the County of Waldo. Then, what is now 
Palermo had twenty-six families; Montville and Liberty both had about 
twenty families and Freedom had none. Belfast village was but thinly 
inhabited. Some parts of it was like a forest of evergreen. There 
was no wharf at that time. Coasting vessels were loaded with cord- 
wood by wheeling on a partly hewed stick of timber from the shore to 
the ship. There were but two traders in the village at my tlrst acquain- 
tance, namely, NaSmith and Creamer. The road from Montville to 
Belfast was through a forest of swamps without any bridgen. The 
horses had to all go in one track through the swamps, with a ridge 
betw een their stepping places, to give a foot person a chance to walk 
over the wet places without wading through the mud and water. 

Now from here to Belfast is one of the best of stage roads, passing 
through among wealthy farmers, merchants and mechanics. And now 
Belfast is one of the pleasantest cities in the State, with one of the 
best, safest and pleasantest harbors that can be found on the Eastern 
shore. In plain view of all the shipping which sails on the Penobscot 
Bay, and in view of the Castine light-house, also of the level, rich and 
beautiful country bordering on the north-eastern shore of that beautiful 
bay, together with a partial view of Islesboro and Castine on the south 
and east, to a distance of twelve miles, which adds much to the beauty 
of the place. With a regular line of Steam-ships from Bangor to 
Boston, coming to and going from the wharves daily." 


[ rejoice in the prosperity of Maine, but I cannot repress the risinij 
sigli ; nor withhold the fallina; tear. 1 look around for my old contem- 
poraries and tind so i'ew of them left. The enquiry is, where are they? 
Answer, they are cut down by the scythe of time, and housed in the 
silent "rave. And the few that are left are worn dow^n with age and in- 
firmities too numerous for me to name. Some with the loss of sight and 
hearing; some with the loss of their limbs; some with palsied hands; 
and otliers Avith general debilities, etc. And but very few, if any, are 
able to talve care of themselves, but have mostly given themselves up to 
the care of their children, or grandchildren, or the tOMU to provide for 
them. And very soon the last will be gone the way of all the earth, their 
lK)dies turned to dust, and their names forgotten, and Maine will be in- 
liabited by entire strangers to what has passed in my day. 

Now a telegraph line is erected the whole width of the State of 
Maine, from city to citv. from New BrunsAvick to New Hampshire, to 
the length of four or five hundred miles. Again, look at the railroads 
that are already completed, and those that are now under way. All the 
above has lieen done in about twenty years. 

Wiio would have thought that the stream of intemperance could 
liave been turned and dried up by the art of man, when its width and 
(leptii was sufficient to run a mill to sa^v lumber to build a village as 
large as lenity or Freedom, so that the stream now can be foriled and 
soon I trust will be like a rill, running under ground, and the bed of the 
ri\ier will soon ))ecome like a fruitful field. 

Written at Palernio, Jtine s, 18.')."), at the age of 70 years. 


This town of Falfcrmo was lirst called Great Pond Settlement Iroiu 
the fact that the first settlement was near the Sheepscott Oreat Pon<l. 
The tirst settlers of Palermo M-ere principally persons from New 

Hampshire. Some of those persons which my grandfather referred to 

as the "first settlers were Stephen Beld^i, Christopher Erskines, David 

Turner, Benjamin Turner, Jonathan Greeley, Jacob Greeley, Jacob 

Worthing, John Johnson, John Bradstreet, Jonathan Bartlett, Joseph 

Eust, Stephen Harden and James Harden. 

The, first settler in Palermo was Stephen Belden, who came here on 
horseback, bringing his Bible under his arm, about 1778. He was mar- 
ried to Abagail Godfrey and had a son, Aarpn, prior to coming to Palermo. 
They took up the farm where Van Kansalaer Turner now lives. He 
died June 15, 1822. Aaron lived here and married. To his wife 
Charity, Mas born a daughter, Sabrina, Harch 25, 1805. They moved out 
west and he became a minister of the gospel. 

The first male child born in Palermo was a son of Stephen, w^ho 
was born in the spring of 1779, who he named Stephen. The first 
female chikl was his daughter, born in the fall of 1780, who was named 
Sally. Stephen Jr. married Hiss Hary Harvey and settled on Level Hill. 
The buildings are now gone, but the farm is owned by Fred Norton. 
He died Dec. 21, 1857. The sons born to them were Stephen, James and 
John, from whom sprang children and grandchildren too numerous to 
mention. James is still living at the age of eighty-two. Sally married 
David Linscott and settled on Level Hill, where their son James Linscott 
now lives. 

Hr. Edmund Black was ])orn in ITMC. He died in Palermo, Feb. (!. 
18()!> aged seventy-two years. Hrs. Holly Black, his wife, was born in 
1783 and died in Palermo April 23, 1812, aged 79 years. Eleven children 
were ))orn to them in Chester, N. H., and were among the early settlers 
i-omin<'- to Palermo a])out 1798. They had passed the meridian of life 


ere they .stnrtod on thtir lonu- liorseback jonnu'V into the wiUleiness to 
their loj:; iiouse, uith their four sons James, .John, Ediiinnd Jr. and 
Benjamin, and tlieir uives. James, the oklest son ^vas l)orn in diester, 
\. H., Sept. 15, 17()4, and married his Avife Molly, born in Ne^^market, 
N. H., Mareh ir». ITCS. They lirst settled in Meredith, N. H. They had 
eiifht ehihlren. They settled in Palermo on the farm now known as the 
Stndley plaee. Amonir his eliildren were E(hnund iJrd., Joshua, Olive 
and James. Edmund :{rd. was born in Meredith, N. H., Jan. <J, 1788, and 
married Comfort Wiugcins. H<?Avas chosen Town Clerk in 1811 and con- 
tinued three years. He drove the stages for (juite a number of years. 
Their children were quite numerous. Josliua was l)orn at Meredith, 
N. II., June .-5, 171)0. lie married Mary Briant. He was called the vet- 
I'ran stage-driver, liaving driven the stage twenty-eight years. 

John Black was born June 22. 17r>(), and with his wife Betsey, set- 
tled lirst on the farm wliere Ira Black now li\ cs. Among tlieir children 
are Berley Black, now living in his Dlst year, and Nancy Black Sanford, 
now li\ ing at the age of H(> years. 

Edmund Black Jr. was born June Ki, 1772, and with his wife Betsey 
settled on the Ira Black place with his biother. Among tlieir children 
were Betsey, Celinda, John, Abagail and Susan. As they moved to 
Headtleld, and tinally to N. Y., and their children were mostly girls, but 
litllc is known of their descendants, tliough Betsey married Jose Greeley 
of China, foi* her last husband. 

Benjamin Black was born .April «!, 1780 and with his wife Mary first 
settled on the Peleg Sanford place. Among their children were Claren- 
don and Benjamin Jr. now living at the age of 78 years. 

Levi Howe was l)orn at Ipswich, N. H.. Aug. 1, 17(5.'). Lucy Nelson 
was born at Ipswich, N. II., Sept. 7, 17()(). When he was twenty-three 
years of age they were married and settled in Alua, Maine. Seven 
children were born to them : Jeremiah Howe, born Aug. J 7, 1789 and died 
at the age of four months; James, born Feb. 20, 1791 ; Levi, Jr., born 

June 20, 1795; Hufus, born May 15. 179G ; Annie, born July 27, ; 

Jeremiah, born June 25, 1799; Mary E. born Sept. 29, \HOa. Mr. Rowe 


was an early settler who came to Palermo and settled on the farm which 
has been handed down as the Rowe farm. 

James Rowe married Martha Noyes of Jefferson and settled with his 
father in Palermo and finally moved to Morrill: Levi, Jr., was killed on 
the farm by a tree, May 25, 1811, at the age of sixteen. Rufns lived at 
Alna until a young man. He married Lydia Noyes of Jefferson for his 
first wife and settled in Palermo and finally settled on the old Rowe 
farm. His second wife was Sally Marden, then the widow Cnnningham. 
They were the parents of George and Rnfns Rowe, Jr., of Palermo and 
Mrs. Frances Sylvester and Thomas Rowe of Newton Centre, Mass. 
Annie was drowned, Nov. 2, 1832, a. the age of thirty-six years, while 
drawing a pail of water at the spring, where Bennie Colby now lives. 

Jeremiah married Miss Noyes of Jefterson, a sister of his brothers' 
wives,* for his first wife and settled in Newcastle. His second wife was 
Mary Andros of Palermo. They settled in Carr's corner in 1825. He 
worked there at the blacksmith's tradt; and later moved to Bradford, Me. 
Mary E. married John W. Marden and settled in Palermo. 

Benjamin Yoiing was born in Chester N. H., 1775. He learned the 
blacksmith's trade of a smith in Hallowell, Me. His first work after 
learning his trade was on the first bridge across the Kennebec river at 
Anguste in 1797. He then went to Belfast and worked at his trade about 
four years. In 1802 he married Miss Abigail Whittier, daughter of 
Joseph and Priscilla Whittier of this place, who was fourteen years of 
age. They settled on the farm where his grandson Fred Young now 
lives, and as he did not have slings in those days as now for shoeing 
oxen, their legs were tied and turned them over on their backs while 
nailing on the shoes. They had eleven children, Joseph and Page, now 
living in Freedom. He died March 3, 1848 at the age of seventy-three. 
His wife died April 23, 1872, aged eighty-four years. 

Captain and Mrs. Elijah Grant, senior, were probably tlie oldest 

*NoTE. The three brothers married three sisters. 


couple that made the horseback journey in those early days, as the 
record of their births date back to 1721. 

John Cain, senior, probably had the largest number of children, 
which numbered eighteen. 

Geneology of William Jones and Abigail Bennett Jones. 

Capt. Miles Standish came in the " Mayflower" in 1620. He married 
for his second wife Barbara Standish, who came in the "• Ann" in 1G23. 

Their son, Alexander, married Sarah Alden, second daughter of 
John and Friscilla (Mullen) x\klen, who both came in the "Mayflower." 

Lydia, daughter of Alexander and Sarah (Alden) Standish, married 
Isaac Sampson, born ittfiO. 

Ephraim, born 1G98, son of Isaac and Lydia (Standish) Sampson, 
married Abigail Horrell, daughter of Ilnmphrey Horrell of Beverly. 
Mary, born in Plimpton, April 10, 1745, daughter of Ephraim and Abigail 
(Florrell) Sampson, married Nov. 1st, 1764, in Middleboro, Mass., Bach- 
elor Bennett, born in 1736, son of Cornelas Bennett, Physician of Mid- 
dleborough, and Ruth, his wife. i!e was a soldier in the Revolutionary 
war§. Abigail, born in May, 1777, daughter of Bachelor and Mary (Samp- 
son) Bennett, married in 1798 William Jones, who was born in Bristol, 
Me., in 1774, and died in ralermo,February, 1834. He was a son of Richard 
Jones of Bristol, a soldier of the Revolution*, and committee of corres- 
pondence and safety in 1782. Richard Jones was a son of Wm. Jones, 
w!io came to this country in 1725 and settletl in Bristol in 1730. He was 
a man much respected in liis town, and was the flrst chosen to the 
Brovincial Congress in 1775t. He Avas a brother of Colonel Wm. Jones, 
who was a member of the Convention of Miissaclii^setts, by whicli the 
Constitution of the United States was adopted. 

§See Vol. 13, Page 51; Vol. 24, Page 57; Vol. 3, Page 225, Rev. Archives, Stafe House, l^cston. 
*See Vol. 19, Page 181, Kev. Archives, State House, I'oston. 
tSee History of l^ristol. 


The descendants of William and Al)iiiail (Bennett) Jones are 
numerous. Their children were : Nelson, married Hannah Bowler. Thej^ 
had three sons and four daniihters. Abigail, married Samuel Brown. 
Left a son and several daughters. Harriet, married Warren Cooper. 
They had one son and five daughters. Sylvanus, died young. Eliza 
Maloon, married Lot Rust. They had four sons and four daughters. 
William, married Mary Ann Marr. They had four sons and three 
daughters ; several of them died young. Cathlena, married Benjamin 
Marr. They had one son who died in youth, and one daughter Avho 
married a Turner. She left three children. Mrs. Marr is the only one 
of the family now living. She resides at Branch Mills. Sylvanus, son 
of Wm. Jones, is living at Branch Mills. He married Olive Erskin. 
They have one son in college. Lot Kust, Jr., married Marcia Cooper, 
and Hattie Rust married Abiel Erskin. Both families live at Moro, 
Oregon. Cathlena Cooper married Joseph Grant. They have one son 
and five daughters. Their home is in Portland. Abbie Bennett Cooper 
mariied James E. Shepard of Union. He was Adjt. of the 9th Maine 
V. M. during the war of the Rebellion. 

Nelson W. Jones, son of Nelson and Hannah Jones, enlisted in the 
r>rd Maine Reg. V. M. June 4th, 1861, and was killed July 2, 1863. He 
was a very promising young man and was a sergeant with a promise of a 
commission. An honor to his native town. AVest W. Cooper, only sou 
of Warren and Hariiei Cooper, enlisted in the 4th Maine Regt. V. M. 
May 8th, 1801, and A\as killed in action, July 21st, 1861, at the battle of 
Bull Run. The G. A. R. of Union have named their Post for him, and 
his name stands first upon the Roll of Honor, on the Soldiers' Monument 
at Union Common. 

William Jones moved his family from Bristol to Palermo in 1815, 
having previously prepared their home. The old house which was large 
and roomy, stood on the spot Mhere the house of Silas Bowler now 
stands. It Mas in tlie old days surrounded by orchards, an ideal country 
farm house. It Mas torn doAvn in 1851). William Jones' children Mere 
at one time all settled around him on farms Mhich Mere a part of th<' 


original grant in the lower part of the town. He died in middle life 
from the effects of a fever contracted in New Orleans, while on a voyage 
as captain of a merchant ship. Abigail (Bennett) Jones was a woman 
of strong character. She was a widow for twenty-seven years. She 
kept her farm and managed her affairs until she was very old. She died 
in March, 1861, aged 83 years and 10 months. 

Palermo has the honor of being the nativity of a millionaire. James 
H. Bowler, son of Rev. William Bowler, was born at the foot of John 
Ayer's hill, April 23, 1814, and died in Bangor, Maine, April 4, 1893. 


Settlements in the various places, now incorporated into towns, 
were formed before any surveying was done, of which I will give a 
brief account. To make a long story short I will omit the lines bounding 
ralerrm) on the north, east and south, which were marked by trees, 
stakes and stumps, and speak of the line between Palermo and Harlem, 
name which was changed to China in 1818. The tirst survey was made in 
1800, when this township was laid out. The northerly corner of the line 
between the two towns was a beech tree, marked No. 11, 1800 (A). The 
southerly corner between the two towns was a hemlock tree, marked as 
the tirst. In 1805 it became necessary to perambulate the said line. The 
survey was made by William Davis of Palermo, a sworn surveyor, 
Ichabod ChadMiclv and Edwin Fairfield, selectmen of Harlem, and Elijah 
Grant and Nathan Coburn, selectmen of Palermo. They commenced at 
tlie lirst mentioned tree and marked it U05, thence southerly ;H)® west, 
until it struck the hemlock ti ee at the southerly corner. This line they 
V, ell spotted and frequently marked with a marking iron ; thus : — (A) and 
at .lohnson's Mills, (now Branch Mills) a cedar post, marked on the 
west (H), on the east (P), and north and south marked 1805. At the 
county road near Deer Hill a beech tree was marked on the Avest side 
(W. D.) (1805), (H.), (I., C), (E. F.). On the east side (U05), (P.), 
(W.I).), (E.G.), (N. C). On the north and south sides. (A). The 
survey was finished March 14, 1805. As time rolled on and passed away, 
the cedar post had been lemoved and trees cleared away and the line was 
in dispute for seven years. Palermo and China both claimed the valua- 
tion and tax of those farms along the line. At the town meeting March 
12, 1827, a vote was passed that those inhabitants along the west line of 
the town should be held blameless and shielded from all harm by paying 
their taxes in Palermo, and refusing to pay to the town of China. The 
selectmen were authorized to uo and see the selectmen of China about 


running the line, and if they conld not agree to petition the Legislature 
to establish the same. The next season the line was perambulated, and 
a stone monument was set at Branch Mills, which forever settled the 
matter at that place, and marked 1828. Thus they were continually per- 
plexed from the other sides of the town, by disputed lines. On Jan. 1, 
1838, the selectmen were instructed by the town to petition the Legisla- 
ture to pass an act to set stone monuments at all the corners and angles 
of the town lines, so that they would not be liable, as the then existing 
law require^ of them. Their petition was granted, and thus you will 
see that the credit is due Palermo for the stone posts now seen throughout 
the State of Maine. Sept. 10 of the same year, the selectmen set about 
perambulating the tow n lines, and setting the stone monuments accord- 
ing to the new law. Oct. 13, Joseph Stewart of China, a sworn surveyor, 
Joseph White and Enos Greely, selectmen of Palermo, Coridon Chad- 
wick and Joseph Stewart, selectmen ol China, met at the southerly 
corners of the two towns and surveyed the lines northerly, to the road 
where David Whitten then lived, and erected a stake and stone; thence 
to the old county road near Deer Hill, where was a beech stump, which 
was formerly aline tree; thence to the stone monument near Joseph 
Hacker's at Branch Mills ; thence to the height of land to the road where 
Reuel Balcom now lives ; thence to the new county road, then in build- 
ing ; thence to the northerly end of the line between Palermo and China, 
at the southerly line of Albion. They ordered stone monuments erected 
at each of the given points, to be marked thus : (P. & C. 1838). On this 
line were found repeated marks of former perambulation. From 1800 
to 1810 the farms were surveyed by Bradstreet Wiggins of Freedom, 
and laid out into shape, and a plan drawn and printed. Palermo was a 
part of the Kennebec purchase, and lies within the Plymouth charter. 

The first settlers of this Great Pond Settlement took up their lands 
without purchase of leave of the proprietors, and held the same by pos- 
session. Robert H. Gardiner of Hallowell, Maine, and Ruel Williams 
of .-, were large owners in this townsliip, being two of the pro- 

prietors. .".:■■. ■ .. ''.... 

Plantation Meetings were held from 1801 to 1805. 

The First Town Meeting. 

Christopher Erskine, one of the Inhabitants of Palermo^ in the County of 

Lincoln, GREE TING:— 

By virtue of an act entitled, "An act to incorporate the Plantation 
f Great Pond Settlement, in the County of Lincoln, into a town by the 
ame of Palermo." You are hereby required in the name of the Common- 
ealth of Massachusetts to notify and warn the male inhabitants of said 
)wn being twenty-one years of age and residing in said town for the 
pace of one year next preceding having herein a freehold estate within 
lid town of the annual income of ten dollars, or any estate to the value 
f two hundred dollars, to meet at Robert Foye's dwelling house, Janu- 
ry *Jth, 1805, to act on the following articles, etc. 


Justice of the Peace. 

December 30th, 1804. 

The following officers were chosen : — Moderator, Samuel Longfel- 
)w ; Clerk, Elijah Grant, Jr. ; Selectmen and Assessors, Elijah Grant, Jr. 
[athaniel Coburn, Samuel Longfellow ; Collector and Constable, Stephen 
larden ; Wardens, Samuel Longfellow and Stephen Marden ; Tything- 
len, Josiah Perkins and Abel Creasey ; Pound-keeper, Daniel Clay ; 
'ield-drivers, Andrew Lewis and Amos Dennis ; School Committee, Sam- 
el Longfellow, Stephen Marden and Christopher Erskine, Sr. ; Hog- 
Deves, Joseph Creasy and William Briant; Treasurer, Christopher 
Irskine, Sr, and Palermo became an organized body. 

It was voted in 1803 that Hogs should run at large, provided they be 
'ell yoked and ringed. Hogreeves were chosen from three to fourteen 

1 number, each year, who were civil officers, whose duty it was to im- 
ound all hogs running at large that were not yoked and ringed according 
) vote. This was continued many years. Cattle and Sheep had to be 
\x marked and had all the rights and privileges of the highway. It was 


also provided, in case they should break and enter a private enclosure, 
by way of a four foot fence, then Pound-drivers should take them to the 
Pound where they were kept until called for, and the bills paid. 

From two to nine Tythingmen were chosen each je. )•, who were Par- 
ish Officers. It was their duty to enforce the observance of the Sabbath 
by sending the offenders to church or imposing a tine. 

It seems that in tliose early days crows were troublesome as now, 
for I find that in different years they paid a Ijounty of from tw elve to 
twenty-five cents each for killing old croAvs and half price for young ones. 

A tannery was built about 1800, on the faim where .)ohn H. Black 
now lives, owned by George Carlisle. The bark was ground by hearse 
power, the horse traveling round and round. Soon alter oue Avas built 
by Nathaniel Bradstreet, on the stream where H. R. Carr noAv lives. 
The old dam and tan vats are now plain to be seen. 

Two of the first settlers at Johnson's Mills(now Branch Mills) were 
John Johnson and Jacob Worthing, residents of Palermo. Johnson built 
the first mills on the dam where James Dinsmorenow owns, which were 
built in 1801 or before. Later Joseph Hacker came in possession of 
the mills. Thty have changed hands several times since.. There was 
an old Fulling Mill on the Avest end of the Toby dam and an old saw mill 
on the east end, Avhich Avas built in 1823. At the raising, Silas Hamilton 
was struck by a falling timber and died on Sunday, December 7th. 

Jacob Worthing had tAvelve children, five of them being born before 
1800. Hiram, one of the younger boys, born in 180(5, Avas first selectman 
in Palermo-for many years. He Avas Postmaster continuously lor forty- 
seven years, Avith the exception of tAvo y<;ars under Buchanan's Adminis- 
tration. His son, Pembroke S. Worthing, is a grandson of Dea. Stephen 
Marden by way oi his mother. He has served several terras as ToAvn 
Clerk and first Selectman. He has been Postmaster tAvelve years. 

Doctors Daniel Pratt, Samuel Hightand Enoch Huntoou Avere among 
tlie first settlers and the first doctors in toAvn t)iacticing before 1800. 

Another of the early settlers Avas Amasa Soule, Avho took up a farm 
in 17t»i> and took his Avife and children to his neAv In^nie tvv years later. 


She lived to be 101 years, live months and twelve daj^s old. bne was the 
mother of -thirteen children. She lived to the greatest age of any person 
in Palermo. 

In the year 1807 two town burying grounds were purchased, one for 
the lower settlement, by Jonathan Greeley's Grist Mill, and the other on 
Dennis Hill in the upper settlement. A vote was passed in 1809 that the 
town should be divided into two burying districts and that the dividing 
line sEould be at William Tucker's, south line square across the town. 
Each district to fence and care for their own yard. 

In 1811 seven School Districts were formed and the school houses 
were built by each c^istrict in about 1812. In the seventh district not un- 
til 1822. Previous to this, schools were kept in dwelling houses and at 
such places as could be obtained. The Center School, then called, in 
District No. 3 was held in what is now Herbert Batchelder's old shop, 
which then set near where the hearse house now stands. This school 
house was built a four hiped roof. It contained two rooms ; one for a 
scliool-room, the other for town meetings. It had an elevated floor about 
four feet high, which required three stone steps to enter the school-room 
and a flight of four wooden steps to the town part. 1 he town rented this 
part for three dollars a year. It contained two brick fire places. 

The first wagon in Palermo Mas owned by Dea. Stephen Harden 
about 1815. 

The first roads were laid out in 1802. The first road, called the main 
road, commencing at the lower part of Great Pond Settlement, running 
through the lower and upper settlements to the nortli line of the town, 
by way of Greeley's Corner and Harden Hill, a distance of ten miles and 
forty rods. The next road, called The Back Road of the tipper settle- 
ment, running from Thaddeiis Bailey's to John Johnson's Hills, (now 
Bninch Mills) thence to Rol)ert Foye's, where Downer now lives. An- 
other called tiie Eastern road of the upper settlement, known as the Level 
Hill road. Also another called the Western Road of the lower settlement 
running from Longfellow's Corner to Turner's Ridge. 


Many of the cross roads were laid out in 1805. Road from Greeley's 
Corner to East Palermo and on the east side of the pond in 1806. Many 
changes have since been made. Road from Branch Mills to Longfellow's 
Corner in 1809. Road from John Nutter's place to Sheepscott Pond, 1807, 
and changed as it now is, from said Nutter place to Fred Spratt's in 
1816. The new road from James Soule's to Branch Mills, in 1819 and 
old road discontinued. The Western Ridge Road in 1811, changed as 
now in 1838. 

The old Belfast Road of 1805 was from John Ayer's by the Oliver 
Pullen Pond, crossing the Bog of the Turner Pond on a log bridge over 
six hundred feet in length. In 1821 a new road was built from Ford's 
Corner to Montville, still crossing the old log bridge. In 1841 a com- 
mittee of three, Reuben Whittier, William Foye and Eli Ayer were 
chosen to superintend the building of a new bridge to be completed with- 
in four years. Those taking the job should keep it in repair while build- 
ing. The bridge is of stone covered with earth six hundred and forty 
feet in length. 


About 1779, Massachusetts was divided into the District of Maine 
and the District of Massachusetts ; thereby our beloved state became the 
District of Maine. Still a part of that statf' having the same General 
Court.' The first Representative from Palermo to the Massachusetts 
Legislature or General Court, held at Boston, was Daniel Sanford, senior, 
elected in 1809 and re-elected in 1811. 

January 23, 1816, the Inhabitants of Palermo met at John Clark's 
dwelling house and voted to petition the Legislature at its present ses- 
sion for the immediate separation of the District of Maine from Massa- 
chusetts, and form a separate and independent state. 

September 2nd 181G they were called to meet and vote on the ques- 
tion '' Is it expedient that the District of Maine shall be separated from 
Massachusetts and become an independent state."* Also to choose a 
delegate to meet at the old meeting house near the college in Brunswick, 
in the District of Maine, agreeable to an act of the Legislature of the 
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, passed June A. D. 1816. The vote 
declared seventy-eight in favor of, and twenty opposed to the separation. 
At this convention they fell short of success. May 3, 1819 a petition to 
the General Court Avas laid before the town asking for their approval 
and signature and the selectmen were instructed io sign it in behalf of 
the town. And many towns joined in the same prayer. July 26, 1819 
the voters were again warned to meet at .lohn Clark's dwelling house to 
vote again on the same question. This time there were one hundred and 
two votes in favor of the separation and only six opposed, and the Dis- 
trict of Maine was carried by a large majority 

Sept. 20, 1819 a meeting was called to choose a delegate to meet in 
Convention at Portland on the second Monday in October to form a 

*See Palermo records, volume ist. page 236. 


Constitution or frame of government for said new state. Thomas 
Eastman was chosen and delegates met as above and adopted a constitu- 
tion. Again the voters of Palermo was warned to meet at the Centre 
school house on the first Monday in December to give in their written 
votes expressing their approval or disapproval of the Constitution. 
The result was a unaminous vote in favor of the Constitution. Their 
prayer was answered to the joy of the people. Then Congress was 
asked that the State of Maine be admitted to the Union, which was 
granted March 3, 1820. 

December 27, 1820 the question arose " Shall this county of Lincoln 
be divided and form a new county. .The answer was, No! While other 
towns contended for a new county, Aug. 12, 1826, Palermo voled to 
remonstrate against the proposed new county of Waldo and petitioned 
to be annexed to the county of Kennebec. Feb. 7, 1827 the county of 
Waldo was incorporated and named for Gen. Samuel Waldo. Still 
determined against the new county a meeting was called February 23, 
1827 to see if they would vote to petition the Legislature to be set otf 
from the new county of Waldo and be annexed to the county of Lincoln, 
Kennebec or Penobscot. They voted unanimously to petition to be set 
off into the county of Kennebec, and that this vote be published in the 
Kennebec Gazette and in the Lincoln Intelligencer which were the two 
papers t^ken in those early days. 

In 1847 onr mail bore the first U. S. postage stamps', being of the 
five and ten cents denomination. September 23, 1815 a heavy gale of 
wind swept over the place doing much damage to property. 

November 30th, 1811 a severe earihqual<e w:is felt through New 


The mill which my grandfather referred to was ou the Sheepscott 
river below the pond. There were two old mills, the Jonathan Bartlett 
and the Alden mills. The former said to be the oldest, which must been 
built before 1790. The barn now^ standing on the William Histler farm 
was the first framed barn in town, and was built as early as 1790. The 
boards must have been sawed at this mill. 

The old David Turner house is still standing on the old farm as a 
stable, and is now owned by Wesley Turner. The Ransalaer Turner 
house is also one of the first houses. It shows the style of early days. 
It is in good repair and with the same good care will last another 

About 1800 my grandfather and his brothers, Stephen and Benjamin 
built the old mill on the Benjamin Marden farm, which was an up and 
down saw. The iron wol'k of the water-wheel was made in New 
Hampshire, and brought to Augusta. From Augusta it was hauled on a 
hand sled by two men, at that time a distance of about thirty miles 
through the wilderness by spotted trees. From Augusta they followed 
the river to Vassalboro' then to East Vassalboro', then around the foot 
of China pond and up to near v>here the town house noAv stands; from 
there to Dirigo and to Branch Mills, which was before the roads w^ere 
built. This mill had the necessary machinery for making hand rakes, 
which the Marden brothers sold for twentv-five cents each. They also 
had a brickyard and made bricks, which supplied the houses with their 
first brick chimneys. They were laid up in clay and ashes for mortar. 
Later the property passed to Benjamin Marden, 2nd, and to his son 
Stephen, who operated the mill. They have all passed away now except 
Stephen's widow and two sons, Oscar and Frank. Oscar is a successful 
lawyer in Stoughton, Mass., having graduated in 1876 from Boston 
University Law School. In 1891 he was appointed Judge and Justice of 


the District Court of Southern Norfolk. Frank is a successful business 
man in the firm of George H. Leonard Co., Boston. In 1849 the old houses 
on the farms formerly occupied by these Harden brothers were removed 
and new ones built by Joshua Goodwin, Alva Harden and Benjamin 
Harden, 2nd. 

In 1844 it was voted to build a town house. The contract was let to 
John Erskine for one hundred and eighteen dollars. A quari-el began 
about the location. The south part of the town carried the day and it 
was built on Orchard Greeley's land near the cemetery.- A warm battle 
ensued and it was sold at auction for sixty-five dollars. Again the south 
part ruled and bought it back by paying the interest. Several meetings 
were held there during the next year. Still the battle went on and it 
was again sold and moved to Longfellow's corner and since used for a 
store. The present town house was built by Enos Greeley in 1847 and 
located in the center of the town. 

The first guide boards were made by Joseph Creasey in 1823. The 
town paid him eighty-three cents each, for making. They were painted 
and lettered with a hand pointing the distance towards the principal 
places and have gone to decay years ago. 

The first store and traders in toAvn, as far as I can ascertain, was 
Burrill & Benson, who traded at Greeley's corner in 1822, and Joseph 
Arnold at Carr's corner. Before this the people went to Belfast and 
Wiscasset to do their shopping, and Wiscasset was the nearest Post 
( )ffice. 

The first building burned no record was the barn of Andrew 
Bonney, burned Harch 1819, together with a large stock of cattle. A 
vote was passed on April 14, instructing the selectmen to sign a petition 
in behalf of the town asking the Legislature to compensate his loss. 

There was a grist mill owned by John Black, which was built 
about 1800. It stood on the same dam tluit Ira Black's saw mill did and 
was carried away in a freshet about 1812. 

Eli Carr was born in Goff'siown, X. H., in 180B. He came to 
Palermo in 1811 with his father, Richey Carr, who settled on Harden 


Hill. He is now one of the oldest men in town being ninety years of 
age. His mind is clear and he can remember the most of those first 
settlers and can tell where they lived. He is a respected citizen and a 
worthy member of the First Baptist Church, and to him much credit is 
due for his assistance in preparing this record of Palermo. 

As my grandfather has said there were twenty- six families in town 
in 1793. I find that about ten years later at the incorporation of the 
town the families numbered about one hundred. I will give their names 
omitting those already mentioned. 

Moses Stevens, 
Samuel Stevens, 
Gideon Glidden, 
Jacob Buff^nm, 
Nehemiah Blake, 
William Blake, 
Joseph Carlisle, 
Benjamin Leadbetter, 
Jonathan Nelson, 
Benjamin Nelson, 
John Perkins, 
Robinson Sanford, 
Henry Sanford, 
John Rigby, 
Gabriel Hamilton, 
Stephen Greeley, 
Joseph Spiller, 
David Briant, 
William Briant, 
Nathan Bachelder, 
Samuel Creascy, 
Oliver Pullen, 
William Creasey, 
Daniel Sylvester, Senior, 

George Carlyle, 
Stephen Longfellow, 
Samuel Buftum, 
Joseph Evans, 
Jonathan Worthing, 
Isaac Worthing, 
John Leadbetter, 
William Worthing, 
Samuel Hoyt, 
Daniel Nelson, 
John Nelson, 
Daniel Sanford, 
Henry Whittier, 
Stephen Bowler, 
Joseph Bowler, 
George Brooks, 
Beriah Bonney, 
John Bachelder, 
David Edwards, 
Jonathan Towle, 
Joseph Perry, 
Amos Sylvester, 
Waite Weeks, 
Oliver Boynton, 


Shiibal Weeks, 
Asa Boynton, 
James Brown, 
Eben Brad street, 
Hollis Hiitchins, 
Francis Somes, 
Nicholas Gilman, 
John Hutchins, 
James Grant, 
Samuel Rediuo-ton. 
Nathan Stanley, 
Othnal Pratt, 
Joseph Turner, 

Mr. Hill, Father of Dr. H. 

Lnke Sylvester, 
Chase Robinson, 
Joseph Richardson, 
Nehemiah Somes, 
Nathaniel Bradstreet, 
Hollis Hutchins, Jr. 
Clement Meserve, 
Asa Crowell, 
John Gliclden, 
James Dennis, 
Rnfns Plnmraer, 
Lot Chadwick, 
Daniel Bagley, 
H. Hill, late of Augusta. 


The First Baptist Church. 

About 1779 brother Stephen Belclen came to Great Pond Settlement, 
bringing his Bible under his arm. As the settlers increased in numbers 
and a Baptist Church being formed at Fairfax (now Albion) many of 
this vicinity united with that body. 

In 1804 a reformation swept this township. Those of our members 
withdrew from that Fairfax church and organized the First Baptist 
Church established 1804. Election of officers July 20th, 1805. 

Meetings were held at Josiah Perkins' house and John Marden's 
barn, on Marden Hill. 

Chose John Robinson of Freedom, first clerk; John Sinclare of 
Knox, first deacon ; Nathaniel Robinson, first pastor, ordained June 26, 

Members were received from Freedom, Montville and Knox. Thus 
it became necessary to build a meeting house and a plan for the structure 
was drawn by Daniel Sylvester, Senior, showing the design and location 
of the pews. These pews were sold from the plan at value, which sold 
for 25 and 50 dollars each, according to choice. Thus about 1200 dollars 
was secured. 1826 the contract was made with Spencer Arnold to con- 
struct the building for 1100 dollars and completed in 1827 and dedicated 
on New Years day, 1828, which was thronged with people each Sabbath. 

A List of Membership from 1804 to the Present Time, 1896. 

James Sinclair, Joseph Gowen, 

William White, Benjamin Black, 1st, 

Nathaniel Robinson, John Marden, 1st, 

Josiah Perkins, Betsey Black, 1st, 

John Robinson, Abagail Worthing, 

Mr. Whitten, John Clay, 

Stephen Marden, 1st, Ruth Rider, 


A. Somes, 
Heury Whittier, 
John Johnson, 
Abagail Harden, 
Eclmimcl Black, 2nd, 
Hannah Soule, 
John Sinclare, 
Thaddeus Bailey, Jr. 
Betsey Somes 
Lydla Wiggiu, 
Benjamin Harden. 
Abagail Perkins, 
Polly Bailey, 
Joseph Robinson, 
Betsey Arnold. 
Susanna Cunningham, 
Polly Davis, 
Ann Davis, 
Betsey Davis, 
William Davis, 
Levi Davis, 
Thomas Sinclare, 
Nancy Davis, 
Samuel Henry, 
Hrs. Huntoon, 
Polly Black, 
Hannah Cunningham, 
Betsey Weeks, 
John Brovrn, 
Joseph Bowler, 
Grace Cook, 

John Erskine, 1st, 
Hrs. Campbell, 

Asa Gowen, 
Stephen Belden, 1st, 
Abagail Belden, 
Aaron Belden, 
Charity Belden, 
Eunice Harden, 
Hrs. Whitehouse, 
John Brovs^n, 
Jacob Greeley, 1st, 
Hannah Greeley, 
Joseph Arnold, 
George Robinson, 
Hrs, George Robinson, 
Simeon Hagridge, 
Hrs Simeon Hagridge, 
Hrs. Sanford, 
Wiggins Perkins, 
Hrs. Sylvester, 
Hannah Robinson, 
Eunice Brown, 
Polly Robinson, 
Hannah Sanders, 
Lucy Rider, 
Elizabeth Rider, 
Asa Robinson, 
William H. Robinson, 
Gideon Robinson, 
Smith Gilman, 
Jonathan Clay, 
John White, 
George Smith, 
Joseph Sylvester, 
Susanna Sylvester, 


Molly Black, 
Abagail Young, 
Stephen Longfellow, 
Samuel Leadbetter, 
James Black, 
Nathan Bachelder, 
Mrs. Nathan Bachelder, 
Hannah Nelson, 
Sister Wood. 
Betsey Arnold, 
S. Bailey, 
Lucretia White, 
Kuth Cummings, 
Sister Wilton, 
Betsey Leadbetters, 
Sister Ford, 
Nathan Bailey, 
Nathaniel Stanley, 
Mrs. Nathaniel Stanley, 
. Amos Dennis, 
Amasa Soule, 
Sister Martin, 
Asa Crowell, 
William Tucker, 
Samuel C. Wight, 
Elder Jesse Martin, 
Abagail Pullen, 
Alley Marden, 
Eliza Marden, 1st, 
Miss Eastman, 
Mrs. John Rigby, 

Hannah Cummings, 
Sally Frye, 

Sally Sinclair, 
Aaron Rollins, 
John Perkins, 1st. 
Knowlton Bailey, 
Mrs. Williams, 
Lucy Soule, 
Polly Spiller, 
Spencer Arnold, 
Susanna Hill, 
Sister Tuck, 
Sally Tuck, 
James Clark, 
Charity Marden, 
Nancy Arnold, 
Molly Somes, 
Hannah Somes, 
Jeremiah Tuck, 
Elder Dexter, 
Brother Weymouth, 
Sister Weymouth, 
Betsey Strong, 
John Rigby, 
Benjamin Marden, 2d, 
Betsey Bryant, 
John Spiller, 
Hannah Marden, 
Eliza Sanders, 
James Sanders, 
Elder William Bowler, 
Lydia Sanders, 
Eliza Soule, 

Gilbert Pullen, 
Mrs. Gilbert Pullen, 


Pamelia Arnold, 
Maria Harden, 1st, 
Patty Perkins, 
Eliza Harden 2nd, 
Betsey Smith, 
Sally Black, 
Reuben Whittier, 
John Bailey, 1st, 
Comfort Black, 
Edmund Black, 3d, 
Rachel Cummings, 
Patty Black, 
Hary Andros, 
Thaddeous Bailey, 
Charity Barlow, 
John Rollins, 
George Waters, 
Prissilla Robinson, 
James Sanders, Jr., 
Mrs. James Sanders, 
Franklin Foye, 
Samuel Waters, 
Oren Nelson, 
Asa Cowen, 
James Sanders Senior, 
Charlotte Pullen, 
Hazen Nelson, 
Hary Parkhurst, 
S. L. Harden, 
John A. Harden, Jr., 
Abagail Snell, 
Sewall L. Black, 
Silas Tabor, 

Anna Harden, 
Eliza Davis, 
Elmira Arnold, 
Hrs. Bowler, 
Hrs. Davis, 
Lydia Rowe, 
Nancy Pullen, 
Hary Arnold, 
William Waters, 
Rufus Rowe, Senior. 
James Harden, Senior, 
David Spratt, 1st, 
Josiah Carr, 
Hrs. James Harden, 
Eliza Bradstreet, 
Hary Spratt, 
Sister Worthing, 
John W. Bailey, 
Nathaniel B. Robinson, 
Rachel Arnold, 
Sally Balcom, 
Jonathan Sylvester, 
Louis Bryant, 
James Rowe, 
Sarah Hamilton, 
Hr. Hathorn, 
Hrs. Hathorn, 
Louis Davis, 
Elder E. H. Emery, 
Benjamin Young, Jr., 
Elder Smith, 

Jacob Sanders. 
Hrs. Jacob Sanders, 


Martha J. Hatborn, 
Nancy Seavey, 
Cliftbrd Worthing, 
Mrs. Cliflford Worthing, 
William Carr, 
L. Sabin, 
Sarah Harden, 
Laban Spratt, 
Jane Wood, 
Nathan Wood, 
Adaline Marden, 
Pamelia Wood, 
Melissa Soule, 
Mary Thurston, 
Clarasa Black, 
Mary F. Carr, 
H. San ford, 
D. M. Black, 
Betsey Carr, 
Charles Carr, 
Mrs. S. Bailey, 
Abagail Whittier, 
Axa Noyes, 
Sumner Handy, 
Joanna Handy, 
Wesley Bailey, 
Betsey Bailey, 
Clarendon Black, 
Melvina Rowe, 
Mrs. Luke Jaquith, 
Kesiah Hallowell, 
Addie White, 
Samuel B. Soule, 

Hiram T. Black, 
Lovica Black, 
Eliza Black, 
Marcus Ricker, 
Merrill Black, 
Mercy Spratt, 
Mary A. White, 
Elvira Mores, 
Elisha Wood, 
Eliza, Wood, 
Lydia Bailey, 
Maliala Carr, 
Jonathan Ward, 
Polly Bailey, 
Miss Maria Perkins, 
Prissilla Waters, 
Nehemiah Bryant, 
Eunice Dean, 
Caroline Drake, 
Mary Black, 

Mrs. William Worthing, 
Mrs. E. Parraeter, 
Mrs. S. Bailey, 
Mrs. M. Marden, 
Catherine Marden, 
Mary Spiller, 
Alice Soule, 
Olive Black, 
Luke Jaquith, 
Josiah Hallowell, 
George White, 
Joseph Perkins, 

Mrs. Alexander Worth, 


Alexander Worth, 
Mary Jaquith, 
William Balcom, 
Henry More, 
Josiali Norton, 
Alley Curtis. 
Martha Plummer. 

Eli Carr. 
Eliza Nelson. 
Nancy Black. 
John S. A. Rowe. 
Emma S. Carr. 
Etta Soule. 
Mary Wood. 
Allen Goodwin. 
C. E. Carr. 
George V. Black, 
George F. Rowe. 

Erastus Nelson, 
Nellie Black, 
Gustavus Bnrgis, 
Alley Clifford, 
Hattie Norton, 
Llewellyn Coffin. 
Elder S. O. Whitten. 
Jesse M. Jaquith. 

Present Membership. 

George M. Rowe. 
Winfield Jaquith. 
Ellen Rowe 
Henry Carr. 
D. A. Whittler. 
Anna Drake. 
Alice Spratt. 
Cora A. Goodwin. 
* Etta A. Carr. 
Hattie Chadwick. 
Earl Nelson. 


On the first Wednesday of February, 1809, the 2nd Baptist Church, 
near Longfellow's Corner, was organized, having withdrawn from the 
1st Baptist Chyj'ch. In 1827 they took the plan of the first meetiuu"- 
house and began the erection of the old church noAv removed. The 2u< 
Baptist Church records were distroyed by fire many years ago. 

The Methodist Church ^^as organized in the year 1830. Camp-mec 
ings were held in Dr. Eli Ayer's Grove for many years. The Meetin 
house was built in 1801. 






013 995 645 fl 

013 995 645 fi 




013 995 645 A